This year’s OVW Government-to-Government Tribal Consultation is TAKING PLACE NOW (August 8-10, 2023) in-person in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tribal Leaders or their authorized designees may provide written testimony through September 11, 2023. Testimony should be sent via email to [email protected].
Registration to provide testimony is required at www.ovwconsultation.org/Attend/Register.
PURPOSE OF THIS CONSULTATION
The OVW Consultation is an annual government-to-government consultation with the Department of Justice (DOJ), Office on Violence Against Women (OVW). The purpose of each consultation is to solicit recommendations from tribal government leaders on the following topics:
- Administering tribal funds and programs;
- Enhancing the safety of Indian women from domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, homicide, stalking, and sex trafficking;
- Strengthening the federal response to such crimes; and,
- Improving access to local, regional, state, and federal crime information databases and criminal justice information systems.
For this year’s consultation, OVW is requesting recommendations and responses to two additional questions:
- Should OVW revisit its efforts to identify a method for distributing Tribal Governments Program funds on a formula basis?
- If so, would you be willing to participate in a working group to explore different formula funding models?
LENGTH OF TESTIMONY
In general, a tribal testimony, whether written or spoken, should be concise and to the point. However, the exact length will vary based on the tribe’s areas of focus and the complexity of the issue.
IMPORTANCE OF TESTIMONY
Your testimony is an opportunity to improve understanding of the unique needs of tribal nations. The greater the participation, the better the consultation process.
Tribal leaders or the public may also still register for and attend consultation virtually at www.ovwconsultation.org/Attend/Register.
Additional information regarding the 2023 OVW Annual Consultation may be found at www.ovwconsultation.org/Home..